Find a challenge. Create a good, efficient and cost-effective solution. Repeat.
For Gene Haas, founder of Haas F1 Team in the FIA Formula One World Championship, that has proven to be his formula for success in business, racing and philanthropy.
Haas was born on Nov. 12, 1952 in the industrial town of Youngstown, Ohio. For someone born in what used to be known as the “Industrial Heartland of North America,” it’s appropriate that Haas has become a captain of industry, where his company, Haas Automation, is the largest CNC machine tool builder in North America.
November 12, 1952
- Founder and chairman, Haas F1 Team, the only American team competing in the FIA Formula One World Championship.
- Debut season in 2016 saw the first American Formula One team in 30 years finish eighth in the constructor standings with a total of 29 points, the most of any new team in this millennium.
- Scored 47 points in 2017, 18 more than the total earned in 2016. Maintained eighth-place finish in constructors standings.
- Co-owner of Stewart-Haas Racing, the championship-winning NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team.
- Won first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship in 2011 with driver Tony Stewart.
- Won second Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship in 2014 with driver Kevin Harvick.
- Formed NASCAR Xfinity Series team in 2017 to develop drivers and team personnel for its flagship Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series teams.
- Owner of Haas CNC Racing in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Xfinity Series.
- Builds Windshear in Concord, North Carolina, one of the most advanced automotive wind tunnels in the world.
- Establishes the non-profit Gene Haas Foundation, which supports local, state and international communities through grants to charities, non-profit organizations and other philanthropic foundations.
- Moves Haas Automation into its current location in Oxnard, California.
- Develops the VF-1 for Haas Automation, the company’s first vertical machining center (VMC).
- Founds Haas Automation, which will become the largest machine tool manufacturer in North America with annual sales eclipsing $1 billion.
- Founds Proturn Engineering and develops the Haas 5C – a fully programmable 5C collet indexer – which was the machine tool industry’s first device to automatically re-position parts accurately with the press of a button.
- Graduates from California State University, Northridge with a Bachelor of Science Degree in accounting and finance.